Current:Home > reviewsNHL reinstates Bowman, Quenneville after being banned for their role in Blackhawks assault scandal -Capitatum
NHL reinstates Bowman, Quenneville after being banned for their role in Blackhawks assault scandal
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 17:11:41
The NHL lifted its ban on longtime coach Joel Quenneville and executives Stan Bowman and Al MacIsaac on Monday, clearing the way for their return to the league more than two years after they were punished in the fallout from the Chicago Blackhawks sexual assault scandal.
Bowman, MacIsaac and Quenneville can sign contracts with an NHL team after July 10.
“For more than the last two and a half years, these individuals have been ineligible to work for any NHL team as a result of their inadequate response upon being informed in 2010 of allegations that Blackhawks’ player Kyle Beach had been assaulted by the club’s video coach,” the league said, “While it is clear that, at the time, their responses were unacceptable, each of these three individuals ... has acknowledged that and used his time away from the game to engage in activities which not only demonstrate sincere remorse for what happened, but also evidence greater awareness of the responsibilities that all NHL personnel have, particularly personnel who are in positions of leadership.”
The scandal rocked the Blackhawks in October 2021 and had ripple effects across the league.
An independent investigation commissioned by the Blackhawks concluded that team officials mishandled allegations raised by Beach during the team’s Stanley Cup run in 2010. Quenneville, the former Chicago coach and second on the all-time wins list to Scotty Bowman, resigned from his job as coach of the Florida Panthers.
Bowman, Scotty’s son and Chicago’s general manager and hockey operations president, left his job as did top team executive MacIsaac. The league said each since “has made significant strides in personal improvement by participating in myriad programs, many of which focused on the imperative of responding in effective and meaningful ways to address alleged acts of abuse.”
The NHL fined the Blackhawks $2 million in the wake of the investigation, which was launched in response to two lawsuits filed against the franchise: one by a player identified as John Doe alleging sexual assault by then-video coach Brad Aldrich in 2010 and another filed by a former student whom Aldrich was convicted of assaulting in Michigan.
The report found no evidence that CEO Danny Wirtz or his father, Rocky, who owns the team, were aware of the allegations before the lawsuits. But the younger Wirtz said it was clear team executives had “put team performance above all else.”
Among other things, the scathing report found that in June 2010, after the team had won the Cup, video coach Brad Aldrich was given the option of resigning or being part of an investigation. Aldrich signed a separation agreement and no investigation was conducted. Aldrich received a severance and a playoff bonus, according to the report, and he was paid a salary “for several months.” He hosted the Stanley Cup for a day in his hometown.
The Blackhawks and Beach reached an undisclosed settlement in December 2021.
___
AP NHL: https://www.apnews.com/hub/NHL
veryGood! (88)
Related
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- In some fights over solar, it's environmentalist vs. environmentalist
- Stanley Tucci Shares How Wife Felicity Blunt Supported Him Through “Brutal” Cancer Battle
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers Linebacker Shaquil Barrett's 2-Year-Old Daughter Dies in Drowning Accident
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- Sophie Turner Pens Message on Privacy After Accidentally Sharing Video of Her and Joe Jonas’ Daughter
- Detroit, Chicago and the Midwest blanketed by wildfire haze from Canada
- Breaking Down the 2023 Met Gala's Karl Lagerfeld Theme
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- Biden pledged to stop funding fossil fuels overseas. It's not stopping one agency
Ranking
- Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
- Robert Pattinson and Suki Waterhouse Step Out for Rare Date Night at 2023 Met Gala
- Lukas Gage and Chris Appleton Officially Obtain Marriage License
- The Real Housewives of New York City Reboot Premiere Date Revealed
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Why finding kelp in the Galapagos is like finding a polar bear in the Bahamas
- With The Expansion of CO2 Pipelines Come Safety Fears
- 12 Things From Goop's $79,766 Mother's Day Gift Guide We'd Actually Buy
Recommendation
Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
Goddesses on Parade: See What the Met Gala Looked Like in 2003
Michael J. Fox Doesn't Believe He'll Live to Be 80 as He Battles Parkinson's Disease
Nick Cannon Says He's Praying For Jamie Foxx Amid Hospitalization
Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
Kate Middleton Makes Rare Comments About Princess Diana
Meghan Markle Responds to Report About Alleged Letter to King Charles III
Bachelor’s Sean Lowe Recalls Keeping Son Sam Safe During Attempted Armed Robbery of His Truck